Glimpses of Kalyan
KALYAN, a district level youth organization of Purulia, affiliated to Ramakrishna Mission Lokasiksha Parishad, Narendrapur is engaged in sustainable rural development activities since its inception in the year 1979.
Out to serve the cause of the rural thousands of Purulia, KALYAN has adopted the principle of comprehensive sustainable ideal of selfless service as propounded by Swami Vivekananda. Comprehending the veritable presence of God in Man, KALYAN has been sincerely endeavoring to put all importance in the concept of human resource development in order to arouse the spirit of self-confidence, self-esteem, self-dependence and the most important, egoless motivation for the development of the people in general.
Encouragement of youth groups and institutionalizing their efforts for the overall benefit of the village people are the basic approaches of its rural development activities. With its participatory development approach Kalyan is working throughout the district.
As a leading NGO, it has initiated a number of developmental programmes over the years to stand by the poor and downtrodden rural people to help them have faith in themselves, manifest and develop their leadership potentials, thus developing confidence to make the communities self-propelling.
History & Development of Kalyan:
Kalyan is a Non Government Organization (NGO) of Purulia District with multi-disciplinary comprehensive development complex associated with community based village level youth organizations linked up organically with a network of Clusters at the District Level & State level inspired by the ideas of Swami Vivekananda.
Kalyan and its associated youth organizations firmly believe in Human Resource Development and to work towards the achievement of the goals.
By nature Kalyan is a mobilizer of local agencies, local resources and Panchayati Raj Institutions at the local level to initiate a process of social change for socio-economic transformation of the rural community.
Evolution of Kalyan:
In 1978, Kalyan started operating from a mud house with tiled roof built with the labour of the members of Kalyan. By that time Lokasiksha Parishad of Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Narendrapur had already started its activities through Nehru Yuba Kendra in the district of Purulia. Eventually, the youth groups came in contact with the Parishad. Thus, the Ramakrishna Vivekananda movement of Awakening the Masses was initiated jointly by Lokasiksha Parishad and the Ramakrishna Mission Vidyapith, Purulia through these youth groups. At the formative stage the local Nehru Yuba Kendra also played a very significant role.
Some Important Programmes Initiated by KALYAN:
- Lab to Land Project (1982) – sponsored by Indian Council of Agricultural Research
- Gram Vikas Prakalpa (1983) – sponsored by German Agro Action, Germany.
- Parivar Vikash Prakalpa (1984) – sponsored by Christian Childrens Fund.
- Jeevan Deep (Micro Saving) (1985) – Child Nutrition Project (1987) Sponsored by central Social Welfare Board, Ministry of Women and Social Welfare, Govt. of India.
- Youth Workers Training & Rural Development Project (1988) – sponsored by Konrad Adenauer Foundation, Germany.
- Wastelands Development Project (1988) – sponsored by Wastelands Development Board, Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India.
- Family Counseling Centre (1988) – sponsored by Central Social Welfare Board.
- Early Childhood Education and Creche Project (1991) – sponsored by Central Social Welfare Board.
- Krishi Vigyan Kendra (1992) – sponsored by Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
- Frontline Demonstration on Oilseeds & Pulses (1992) – sponsored by Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
- Intensive Sanitation Project (Purulia-I, Purulia-II and Para Block) (1994) – sponsored by UNICEF, through Government of India,Government of West Bengal and Purulia Zilla Parishad.
- Central Sector Scheme on Agricultural Extension through Voluntary Organizations (1995) – sponsored by Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India.
- Vocational Training Programme (1995) – sponsored by Govt. of W.B., Purulia Zilla Parishad and Purulia Municipality.
- Flood Relief and Agricultural Rehabilitation Project (1995) – sponsored by German Agro Action, Germany.
- Integrated Child Development Services Project (Purulia-I Block) (1996) – sponsored by Government of India through Govt. of W.B.
- Food Processing (1997) – sponsored by Min. of Food Processing Industries, Govt. of India.
- Comprehensive Development of jahajpur Village Project (1997) – sponsored by Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited.
- Revival and refinement of Indigenous Technological Knowledge (2000) – sponsored by Council for Advancement of Peoples Action and Rural Technology (CAPART), East Zone, Bhubaneshwar.
- Jan Shikshan Sansthan (Peoples Education Institute) (2002) sponsored by Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India.
- Babasaheb Ambedkar Hastashipa Vikash Yojana (2003) sponsored by Tribal Co-operative Marketing and Development Federation (TRIFED), Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Govt. of India.
- Accredited Social Health Activists (2006) sponsored by National Rural Health Mission, Dept. of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of West Bengal.
- Social Behaviour Change Communication (2006) sponsored by UNICEF, Kolkata.
- Reproductive Child Health II (2007) sponsored by National Rural Health Mission, Dept. of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of West Bengal.
- Jiban Rekha (2006) sponsored by UNICEF, Kolkata
- Millennium Development Project (2006) , Sponsored by Welthungerhilfe, Germany
- Community Health Care Initiative Management (2010), Sponsored by CARE India Solution, Kolkata
Kalyan, in the district of Purulia, emerged as a multi-disciplinary comprehensive development agency registered under Societiesï¿½ Registration Act, 1961 with Registration No. S/27429 of 1978-80, later amended under S/473 dtd. 25.05.1996 with revised rules.
PUBLIC ACCOUNTABILITY (AUDIT & RENEWAL) OF THE ORGANIZATION:
In compliance with the provisions of Societies Act & Rules there under, Annual Audit & Renewal for 2015-16 on regular in respect of the district level & regional organization. The position of Annual Audit in respect of affiliated Youth Organizations stands as follows:
- No. of Youth Organization audited during the year 2015-16
- No. of Organization receiving renewals from the Registrar, Govt. of W.B.
- No. of Self Help Group of Women: 574
|Sl.No||Name of the Cluster||Total No. of Club||Adult Completed||Renewal Completed|
|1.||Ramakrishna Guchha Samity||15||12||12|
|2.||Brahmananda Guchha Samity||30||25||25|
|3.||Ma Sarada Guchha Samity||12||06||06|
|4.||Krishnanda Guchha Samity||12||08||07|
|5.||Nivedita Guchha Samity||13||05||05|
|6.||Vivekananda Guchha Samity||15||13||13|
THE ORGANIZATIONAL COMPLEX
|Name of activities||Major achievements|
|Agricultural Development [Krishi Vigyan Kendra (Coverage: Whole District)]|
|1.Refinement of Proven Agricultural Technologies||7 No. (70 nos. of farmers)|
|2. Frontline Demonstration of Refined Technologies||590 nos. of farmer, 132.38 ha & 17 units|
|3. Production of Seed and planting materials||Seed Produced-105.2 Q, Seedling Produced-1.27 lakh (No. of farmers benifitted-933 )|
|4.Other Extension Activities||Extn.Activities-68993|
|Capacity building [Krishi Vigyan Kendra & Jan Shikshan
Sansthan Coverage: Whole District]
|1. Improvement of occupational skills and technical knowledge to farmers, Extension
Personnel & Rural Youth
|No. of prog.-15; Total Beneficiary-1357
|2.Academic and technical resource support||No. of batches-65; Total Beneficiary-13795,
|3.Serve as nodal continuing education center|
|4. Organize equivalency programme through Open Learning System. To promote National Goal||IGNOU ,NIOS Programme ,Total-75,
|Social Mobility [Social & Behaviour Change Communication Programme
(SBCC), Coverage : 11 blocks of Purulia and Nirmal Bharat Abhijan (N.B.A) Coverage : Purulia-II @
|1. Communication , Social mobilization & Advocacy||1,95,000 Population.
|2. Involvement of VIC in SBCC.||VIC formed-55|
|3. To organize Community Sensitization Meeting||253 nos.(22,745 person covered)|
|4. To organize Folk Media Performance||110 nos. (45,000 popl.), 143 villages, 54 G.P. covered|
|5. Re-admission of Girl Child||12 Nos.|
|6. Nirmal Vidyalaya injectable steroids online Abhijan|
|7. Construction of House Hold Low Cost Latrine, Publicity and Advocacy||No. of G.P. Covered-09, No. of villages covered-08, No. of beneficiaries-525|
|Public Health & Family Welfare [Integrated Child Development Services,
Coverage: Purulia-I; ASHA (Accredited Social Health Activities) Project, Coverage (Whole District)]
|1. Improvement of Nutritional and Health status of children in the age group of 0-6
years. 2. Lay the foundation for proper psychological, physical and social development of children.
3. Reduce the incidence of mortality, morbidity, Malnutrition and social drop out
|Children Enrolled:-ï¿½ Male- 4010; Female- 3777, Total-7787,Target fulfill:- 96.82%|
|4.To enhance the capability of mothers to look after the normal health and nutritional
care of the child through proper nutrition and health education
Male- 3939; Female- 3601; Total-7540
|5. Training of AHSAs||Total No. of ASHAs in the Block-1581
Total No. of ASHAs Trained (1st round)-1525
Total No. of ASHAs Trained (2st round)-1516
Total no. of ASHAs Trained (3rd round)-1516
|6. Selection of members of the NGO Resource Group and engage them for training ASHAs|
|7. Providing all logistic support|
|8 Maintaining effective linkage and liaison between the Block Health & Family
Welfare Samity, District Resource Group and the State ASHA Cell under NRHM
|Adolescent Intervention Programme (UNICEF), Hura Block & Purulia
|1. Education for Dropout||30 nos.|
|2. Protection under Kanyashree and VLCPC||08 nos.|
|3. PEER Group Formation||22 nos.|
|Social Justice [Family Counseling Centre, Coverage: Whole District]|
|1. Registration of cases at the centre||Total Cases Registered-118|
|2. Collection of facts about the cases||Total No. of reconciliation-55|
|3. Correspondence with the persons involved in the cases|
|4. Promoting mutual settlement
5. Initiating legal steps as and when required.
|Mutual Settlement (dowry return)-05,Referred to P.S.- 5;to Court-6;to Protection Officer
|Social Responsibility [Ma Sarada Charitable Dispensary, Coverage:
|1. Medical advice and treatment of the people living in rural areas||No.of patient treated-716 (SC-463,ST-110,OTH-143)|
|2. Organize Health Awareness Camp||Health Awareness Camp- 2|
|Sabala Kanyashree Joint Convergence Programme (Whole District), District
|1. AWW Training||Beneficiaries- 1070|
|2. Training of Master Trainer||46 nos.|
|3. LGG Session of AGs||18108|
|4. Exposure Visit||89 nos.|
|5. Kishori Diwas||5122 nos.|
|6. District Level Sabala Sports||11 nos.|
|Mission Nirmal Bangla (Purulia-II)|
|1. Low Cost Laterine prepared||151 nos.|
|2. Group Meeting||26 (520 nos.)|
|3. Meeting eith Panchayet Members||5 (25 nos.)|
|4. Cluster Level Meeting||3 (75 nos.)|
|5. Triggering & Pre-Triggering Camp||39 (860 nos.)|
|6. IEC Activities||59 (945 nos.)|
|7. Awareness Rally||3 (120 nos.)|
KALYAN finds immense joy in expressing heartfelt gratitude to the Ramakrishna Mission Lokasiksha Parishad, Narendrapur; Ramakrishna Mission Vidyapith, Purulia; the Govt. of India; the Govt. of West Bengal; the Elected Peoples Representatives; the Purulia District Administration; the Block Level and Village Level Bodies; the Sponsoring Agencies; the concerned Govt. Departments; the Non-Govt. Organizations working with it; the UNICEF; the Noble Donors; the villagers of the District and the people in general.
KALYAN most sincerely wishes to serve selflessly with kind assistance from all and solemnly dedicates itself in service towards people and prayers for the welfare of all.