Kalyan Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) sponsored by Indian Council of Agricultural Resarch (ICAR), Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India started functioning for the district of Purulia since 1992 under the management of Kalyan at Jahajpur village of Purulia-II Block. Based on the recommendation of the Education Commission (1964-66) and the Inter-Ministerial Committee(1973),the ICAR decided in principle to establish Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) throughout the country. Kalyan Krishi Vigyan Kendra is the out-come of the National recommendation for the district of Purulia. Kalyan Krishi Vigyan Kendra runned by NGO Kalyan, affiliated by Ramakrishna Mission Loksiksha Parishad, narendrapur, 24-Pargana(s), West Bengal, is situated at village Jahajpur which is 13 km away from Purulia town, 9 km away from Kalyan Head Quarter and 2 km away from Amjora Bus stop on Purulia-Barakar Asansol State Highway.
Purulia district is a part of Chhotonagpur plateau under the sub-humid, sub-tropical, red and lateritic agro-climatic zone of West Bengal lying between 22.6◦ and 23.5◦ North latitude and 85.75◦ and 86.65◦ East longitude.
Mandates of Krishi Vigyan Kendra
- Assessment Refinement & Demonstration of technologies/products
- On-farm testing to identify the location specificity of agricultural technologies under various farming systems
- Organize Frontline Demonstrations to establish production potential of technologies on the farmers’ fields
- Training of farmers to update their knowledge and skills in modern agricultural technologies
- Training of extension personnel to orient them in the frontier areas of technology development
- To work as resource and knowledge centre of agricultural technology for supporting initiatives of public, private and voluntary sector for improving the agricultural economy of the district